Cabinet Painting – Spraying or Brushing, Pros & Cons
Painting cabinets, whether in the kitchen, bathroom, or elsewhere, is a great way to freshen up a room. With so much hard work that goes into the job, however, it’s important to choose the right method for the job. Here, we will discuss the pros and cons of cabinet painting with spraying and brushing.
- Applies a Thick Layer Quickly: Because brushing cabinets involves applying the paint directly to the surface, it is much quicker than spraying and will usually apply a thick, even coat in no time.
- Good for Complex Surfaces: Unlike spraying, which can be difficult on oddly shaped surfaces, brushing allows you to get into those tight or difficult to reach spaces easily.
- Economical: When compared to the equipment needed for spraying, brushes are relatively inexpensive and can be easily replaced when they wear down.
- Time Consuming: Compared to spraying, brushing takes a lot longer because each stroke has to be done individually.
- Lack of Precision: It can be difficult to achieve a perfectly even coat when brushing, due to the brush strokes.
- Requires More Skill: Brushes require a more skilled approach than spraying and can be more difficult for novice painters.
- Fast & Easy: Spraying is much faster than brushing and provides great coverage with minimal effort.
- Less Mess: Spraying creates much less mess than brushing, as the paint is going directly onto the surface, rather than the brush.
- Better Finish: Spraying creates a smooth, even finish, compared to the brush strokes that can occur when brushing.
- Expensive Equipment: Spraying requires an expensive compressor and gun setup, which can easily cost a few hundred dollars.
- Difficult to Clean: Cleaning a spray gun is a time consuming and delicate process, and can be difficult for novice painters.
- Ventilation: Spraying involves a lot of overspray and will typically require proper ventilation and protection to safeguard against inhaling paint particles.
In conclusion, both brushing and spraying are effective methods for painting cabinets, depending on your skill level, budget, and desired outcome. Both methods have their pros and cons, so it’s important to take all factors into consideration before starting your project.